Sunday, October 23, 2016

Island Hopping Pacific Panama

September 13, 2016 log entry...

"A large storm system moved through yesterday afternoon bringing about 8 inches of rain in a downpour so heavy we could not see the shoreline. Our anchor held well in the 25 to 30 knot winds gusting to 35 knots and we were very glad to be safely tucked into the anchorage instead of sailing."

After spending a little over a week enjoying the island, we left the next morning after the storm headed for Puerto Mutis for fuel and provisions. This allowed for a more leisurely trip along the coast to Panama City where we plan to check into the country. 

Along the way we were joined by three HUGE Bottlenose dolphins swimming along our bow wave. These were by far the largest dolphins I've ever seen, all three stretching well over 11 ft, the length of our dinghy, with many marks along their backs evidencing encounters with other boats and remoras hitching a ride along their bodies as well. At least one of them appeared to be advanced in pregnancy, her body so rounded that it would have taken the joined hands of two adults to reach around her. They appeared to be very old and I nicknamed them the Three Sisters. Although I usually go running to get my camera when the dolphins show up, I was so entranced by these particular creatures that I could not leave the bow. Instead I lay down on the deck and reached out towards them, waving and talking to them as they surfaced for air and swam only a few feet below me. The largest one rolled on her side, exposing her enormous body without slowing at all from our 7 knot cruising speed. As I waved and smiled and called out to her she actually nodded her head and slowly blinked at me, something I have never seen a dolphin do before. Perhaps it was my imagination, but she certainly seemed to be communicating and I felt privileged to share those moments with her. 

Later in the day we were joined by still more dolphins and this time I had my camera handy!



Crystal clear water along the shore of Pacific Panama where we were repeatedly joined by dolphins.

Sunny day but no wind as Sirena motors towards Bahia Honda, Panama


Headed into Bahia Honda where we met up once again with S/V Oleata and S/V Prism

Fresh fruit purchased from a local farmer. There is nothing here but a few open huts. People grow fruit and catch fish in the bay to survive. When sailboats arrive to anchor some of the locals row out to greet them and ask for handouts, occasionally offering fish or fruit for trade or sale.

The bay is very calm and made for a wonderful nights sleep in its protected waters.

S/V Oleata and S/V Prism at anchor with us in Bahia Honda.











No comments:

Post a Comment